Google Flights is the most powerful, user-friendly, and fast search engine when compared to other leading flights search engine tools like Expedia, Orbitz, Kayak, etc. Since it has acquired the ITA Matrix software, it has really became one of the best places to search for flights.
How to Use Google Flights
You can follow some advice on how to get most out of this helpful search engine tool. It’s very easier to get started with this tool. You can search for Google Flights website on your current updated web browser that is google.com/flights and as you do on any search engine, enter your cities and specific dates of travel.
Once you’ve entered these details, you will get to view a list of available flights with affordable prices. Accordingly, you can also pick a departure and return flights and will get one or more airline websites to visit along with the price from each.
If you’ve chosen your specific flight, you will be redirected to the airline website to confirm the details and purchase an airline ticket. However, it’s very important to understand that you’ll not purchase any ticket from Google Flights but it will send you to the airline website for making purchase of airline tickets.
There are some tips and tricks to ensure that you’re getting the most out of your flight searches.
Tips and Tricks You Should Consider While Searching for Flights on Google Flights
You need to include tips and tricks when you’re using Google Flights tool such as filters to find the perfect flights, search multiple airports for the best deal, view the flights on SouthWest, get an advance warning of price changes, track the price changes before you purchase airline tickets, and use the explore map feature.
Filters to Find the Perfect Flights
Below the destination and date fields on Google Flights search engine web page, you will get to view a number of filter options with drop-down menus including price range, stops, airline, times, and much more. With the use of these filters, you can narrow down the search results very easily within a couple of moments.
Let’s say, if you’ve taken a real-time example like SFO to Atlanta in June. In this example, if you want to check out the specific airlines information, you can click the check box mark next to the airlines that you want to see the results for. Or else, if you want to avoid the certain carriers like Frontier, Spirit or Wow Air, etc., you can click the X mark to exclude those airlines from the search results.
You can follow same procedure for connecting cities under the more tab. If you’d preferred to fly non-stop flights, you can also filter out one stop flights. You can personalize the search results more by setting a maximum price or picking a specific time windows for departure or arrival. You can also check for lowest airfares on different days by clicking on the dates box.
Google Flights search engine will display the airfares in all types of classes by using the drop-down menu which is available on right hand side of the web page to choose the class that you want to search for. You need to make a note that you’ll get to find the first or business class airfares than the economy airfares during the peak summer and holiday periods.
Another important note is that the more filters you use, the more refined results you will get. If you want to find the flights from the initial point, you can click on clear button to remove all the filters and view all the flight options again.
Search for Multiple Airports at Once for the Best Deal
Google Flights allows the users to find the flights to or from multiple airports in the sense that you can search up to five airports for both the origin and destination city. In order to do this, you’re required to type the first airport in the search engine box and click on plus sign button to see the nearby airports. It will display four closest airports by default but you can click on more airports button to get the list of more filter options. You can also click on each checkbox next to the each airport that you want to include the search results.
For example, if you want to looking for the cheapest flights from the Bay Area to Hawaii frequently, you can choose all three Bay Area airports like OAK, SJC, and SFO and several airports in Hawaii like OGG, KOA, LIH, and HNL.
If you’re looking for a round trip ticket, you will only view return flights between same airports once you’ve picked up your outbound flight. Let’s say, if you’re searching for flights between San Francisco to New York city and you’ve pick a flight from SFO to Newark, you will get a list of return flights from Newark to SFO. You can also do separate searches for one-way tickets.
Scroll-down to View the Flights on Southwest and Some More Obscure Carriers
Specifically, Southwest airlines is very protective of its data and it’s extremely rare to find the airfares’ information except on southwest.com. Most of the search engines won’t provide the updated information about SouthWest flights but Google Flights offers you the Southwest flights information. So, if you’re searching for Southwest flights like SFO to Burbank, you might get a message at the bottom of search results and showing a list of flights that say check price instead of a dollar amount. If you’ve chosen a Southwest flight, you can get to view the prices of flights by redirecting to the southwest.com airline website.
You can also view the prices with international carriers that don’t make their pricing available in a way that Google can understand. The check price button may get you a list of search results on China Eastern Airlines website.
Get an Advance Warning of Price Changes
Although the airline ticket prices fluctuate depending on various factors, there are some specific times that the ticket prices will go up no matter how many tickets have been sold out. Google Flights has enough data to provide all flights’ information and it will give you a heads up if you’re getting close to that time frames.
If you’re trying to get a more general sense of whether your airline ticket is a good deal, you can’t find out the valid information using Google Flights. But, you can get a solid pretty prediction of whether you should book now or wait with the free Hopper app. Kayak does a good job with the prediction of prices.
Track the Price Changes Before You Purchase Airline Tickets
Google Flights has a tracking feature which is very useful for travellers to find the cheapest and best flights with affordable prices. It has the ability to track the prices over time especially if you’re looking for flights well in advance. Through flight search tracking, you can track the general flights between cities by clicking on the toggle next to track prices at the top of your search results.
If you want to track a particular flight, you can select the specific one in the search results, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click on track price feature to get a list of available flights.
When a flight that you’re tracking changes, you will get an email alert with the old and new prices. This email will also subsume alternate airports that you might want to consider such as other airlines, departure times, and nearby airports. In addition to these, you can find a link to view the full search results for your chosen specific dates.
If you’ve purchased the airline tickets, you can turn off the price tracking feature by going to the tracked flights in the side bar and click on the trash icon next to the flight that you’re tracking. You may want to do so immediately. You can search for all US airlines and allows to cancel or make a change for free within 24 hours of time. For example, if your flight ticket drops in price within five days after you’ve bought it, you can get a credit after making a purchase of airline tickets. If you want to buy a ticket for Alaska airlines, you will get a credit if the price drops at any time after you purchased it.
Explore Map Feature
If you’re not sure where to go or in a dilemma to choose a particular destination location, you can use the explore map feature using Google Flights which doesn’t support a basic point to point search. If you know when you want to travel during a certain time period but don’t know where to go, you can view a list of flights along with their prices at a time. You can also take a look at explore map feature to know the availability of flights between SFO and Europe in May month.
Still, you can use the filters to sort out the flight results to cities with non-stop service from where you live, routes flown by specific airlines, and tickets below a certain price range, and much more.
How to Find Plane Tickets on Google Flights
When you’re using Google Flights to book the plane tickets, you can get the best airfares for where and when you want to travel. Along with these, you can find and book round-trip or one-way or multi-city tickets, filter your flight search by cabin class, airlines, and number of stops, and use an interactive calendar and price graph to find the best airfares.
It allows you to book the plane tickets from more than 300 airlines and online travel agency websites.
Find Your Flights
You need to follow below instructions for finding the flights using Google Flights as follows:
- In the primary step, you just need to open the website google.com/flights on your current updated web browser.
- Once you’ve entered the website address on the search bar, you can get to view the home page of Google Flights where you need to enter your departure city or airport and destination city. Additionally, you can also find the flights by clicking on a popular list of destinations.
- On the top of web page, you can select the ticket type whether one way, round-trip, or multi-city.
- After that, you can select the number of passengers and cabin class.
- You can also consider the calendar view to choose your flight dates. Accordingly, you will get to view the lowest price availability for flights. The flight prices are automatically updated for 24 hours.
- To get filtered search results, you can click on number of stops, airlines, times, or more.
- You can also view the search results by best flights which gives you the best trade-off between price and convenience based on different factors like number of stops, duration, and airport changes during layover cities.
- You can choose a flight for each part of your trip.
- Once you’ve clicked on select option, you will usually be taken to the airline’s or online travel agency’s website in order to complete the transaction. Alternatively, if you choose book on Google option, you can accomplish the transaction without leaving on Google.
- If you’ve booked a flight, you can contact the airline or online travel agency website to confirm the booking. Additionally, if you’ve any issues with the flight booking including change it, cancel it, or resolve the issue that may arise, you can contact the airline’s or online travel agency’s website.
Once you’ve searched for the tickets, flight insights option gives you the options to optimize the travel experience. You can find different features at Google Flights such as tips, dates, airports, and price graph. Through tips feature, you can see the recommendations for when to book your ticket, cabin upgrades, travel insights, and more.
How to Find the Cheap Flights using Google Flights
Among all available search engine tools, Google Flights is the most reliable one when it comes to the prices and airline options owing to the availability of massive data of flights information. Before opening the website, you must need to consider some tips and tricks and start your flight search.
- You can get a travel rewards credit card which allows to get accrue points and get heavy discounts on flights. You can also switch over to the Chase Sapphire Reserve card that helps to get redeemable points.
- It’s better to have flexible dates and times. Accordingly, the more you’re flexible with the dates and times, the more you will get better deals.
- You should always use Google Flight’s incognito window because it deletes the cookies every time when you open up a web browser. The flight prices may increase based on the cookies in your browser or when flights are searched for several times.
When you’re booking flights on Google, you can refer to the below step-by-step process to find the cheapest available flights.
- You can open Google Flights and type in where you want to go. For example, if you want to go from San Francisco to Los Angeles, you can search for one-way flights only.
- You can click the date line on calendar view feature which displays the cheapest prices for every day of the month.
- You can look for budget airlines to book the tickets separately. In certain times, Google Flights and other search engines may not show you all the budget airlines. In that case, you can do separate search on Google and find out which budget airlines fly to your destination location or search directly on the budget airline’s website to know the availability of flights. You can consider the perfect example of this as Cebu Pacific Airlines and Air Asia to travel in the Asia country. These are the cheapest flights but usually don’t show up in the search engines.
- However, you should make a note that all budget airlines have hidden fees including baggage and check-in fees at the airport, etc. So, it’s better to read the fine print of the website before booking the tickets at budget airlines. You can also check the location of airport as some of the budget airlines fly into far away airports which may not convenient for you.
Budget Airlines in Asia
Available budget airlines around Asia included Cebu Pacific, Vietnam Airlines, Air Asia, Air Asia X, Jeju Air, Jetstar, Peach, Scoot, Tiger Air, etc.
The budget airlines in Europe involved Wow Air, Wizz Air, Norwegian, Transavia, Air Lingus, Easy Jet, and Ryan Air.
In the Middle East, you can also find the budget airlines through Google search such as Air Arabia, Jazeera Airlines, Nas Air, Bahrain Air, and Fly Dubai.
Google Flights Helps to Find the Best Travel Deals
Google Flights allows the users to find the best travel deals using web browser or on their mobile app too. It has integrated hotel booking options in flights feature and embedded with the Artificial Intelligence to deliver the smarter suggestions to travellers.
In order to provide the best price suggestions for its users, it has incorporated the A.I machine learning algorithms and statistical analysis of historical trends of data to suggest the best dates to book the tickets for same destination city. For example, if you want to book the tickets to Dubai, flights will provide you a comment on how expensive or cheap the tickets at a particular point when compared to the other prices. In contrary, if the flight prices are not able to change or unvaried over time, it will intimate the users that there is no use to wait for lowest airfares and it’s better to book the tickets due to no changes in price ranges for booking the tickets to reach a particular destination.
From the Google Flights section, it has an ability to find the availability of hotels. If the users searching for flights on a particular destination city and desired to book a hotel instantly, they can consider the Google Flights because it directly gives you the information about hotels. For that, you need to click on hotels section on top of the web page. However, users no need to enter the departure and destination cities once again because it will automatically grab the input data from flights section very easily. Based on that, it will show you the hotels along with the prices.
This feature can also work with other way around that means you can check out the availability of flights on hotels section within a couple of clicks.
In addition to these, Google Flights has other different features such as more destinations and your trips. Through more destinations tab, you will get help by exploring the weekend getaways closer to the existing current location. In a similar manner, Your trips section shows you all incoming and past travel bookings which are made by users on flights.
Google Flights Gains Popularity by adding Booking Sites
Google Flights has faced an issue in the marketplace that it doesn’t offering as many options which are provided by other search engine tools like Kayak and Skyscanner. Let’s say, if you’re looking for flights between Chicago and London, it would typically show the results from a few airlines like Iberia, American, and Finnair. Whereas Kayak and Skyscanner show different flights from a wide range of online travel agencies.
To avoid these issues, Google Flights recently added instant booking and create an experience like an online travel agency.
Google charges more for leads that come through its Google Flights tool when compared to the leads from general Adwords. In other words, Google Flights widget is a more cost-effective marketing channel than the other travel agencies like Kayak, Skyscanner, and other metasearch engines. And also, it moves to intercept the consumer searches for the trademarked names of particular airlines.
Let’s say, if a user might type United flights to Chicago keyword on the search bar, Google Flights shows a list of available flights rather than providing a direct link to book the tickets.